Friday, February 17, 2012

Meet my husband's new friend- Gina!

For Christmas, my daughter and I gave my husband a GPS. He is amazing at getting around in San Diego because he’s found his own shortcuts from all the driving he does in his construction business. Whenever we are out of state and need to find directions, it has always been my job to read the map and tell him where to go. Now….. my map reading skills are also amazing but occasionally….. our skills don’t match and a fight  strong words erupt.
So….thanks to technology…. We now have someone else to take the fall. So….. enter the TomTom GPS system.
 A couple of weeks ago, we had to drive up north to Long Beach. Not being familiar with the area, we thought it was time to try out the new toy. We’ve named her Gina the GPS since she has a very sultry voice.  So…. The three of us get in the car and off we go.
I’m sure we looked very similar to this video of the older couple trying to figure out how to work their webcam.
                        If you've never seen this....watch it. We  will all be here one day.
We got her programmed and we were doing very well and got to destination #1. Ok, so there may have been a quick road detour that I missed but I’m sticking with it being Gina’s fault. 

 I quickly reprogrammed her and off we went to destination #2.  Still doing well, she tells us quickest routes, she tells us gas stations and even restaurants. She is amazing. We should have befriended her long ago. I’m pushing all her buttons to see how much information she has. I tested different voices which they have actually named. Lance, from England, was my first choice but Fernando couldn’t understand the bloke. Go Figure!! Gina was easier on his ears although I pointed out that she couldn’t even say San Diego correctly. It was more of an electronic SAHN DIEGAH. For him, it was music to his ears.
That next week Gina and Fernando had to drive to a new customer’s home.  We kissed goodbye (Fernando and I) and off they went to work together.  What I didn’t realize was that with all the playing that I did with the buttons, I inadvertently pushed in "search for walking routes". So, what should have taken him a ½ hour on freeways….. Gina was telling him was going to take 6 hours. I don't know why he didn't think this was as funny as I did?

He started off listening to her and when he realized that she was giving wrong directions, he tuned her out! I know how you feel Gina….been there! Well, when he ignored her directions…. She began to repeat herself and repeat and repeat. Is this sounding familiar ladies? He finally figured out how to turn her off.

The next day, he was kicking a ball around the kitchen for the dog and making black scuff marks on the floor. I asked if he could stop doing that.
Do you know what that man said? He said….. “Darn, I thought I shut off the ‘nag-agator’!”
Will someone please come out with a GPS where you can program it with the wife’s voice? I have a few more directions to send him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.