Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Home Alone...The empty nesters!!!

We are officially empty nesters. Well, temporarily, at least. Our younger daughter is away at college and now our oldest moved away for an internship leaving my husband and I……ALONE!!! Yes….alone for two whole months and possibly longer. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. Visions of Macaulay Culkins in Home Alone keep floating into my head. The shock in his face when he realizes that he just may have gotten what he wished for!!! 


So for the next few months….. I’m sure you’ll be hearing what it is like living with my husband with no children to buffer for us.
So Jessica went to Connecticut to stay with my sister and her family while she works in an outpatient physical therapy center. Jess is a home body by nature. She likes her space. She likes her California weather. This could be fun to watch unfold.

Packing was especially fun to watch. Prior to making the move, she did not own much in the way of warm clothes. We tried shopping for them. She wanted cute and fashionable which in California stores does not mean warm. I tried to explain that the boots she wanted would leak and that she needed warm sensible boots. She wasn’t liking what I picked out. Go figure!!



I tried to tell her that my sister had a washer and dryer but I think she packed enough clothes to not have to do any laundry for the entire two months. I tried to offer suggestions but all she could say was…. “Don’t judge me” with a grin on her face.

See what I mean….and those suitcases didn’t even have any shoes in them yet!!! My husband had to go in her closet last night to put something away. He came out and proclaimed “We’ve been robbed! There’s nothing left in Jessica’s closet.”

So Christmas night, we took them (Blaine, her boyfriend went along for the first week). We have a tradition of taking “first” pictures….day of school, car, job, etc. This is her “first” moving out picture. I couldn’t be in the picture because….well….being the mom…..my eyes may have been a little teary…..so I shoved dad in there.

Notice she has her scarf on and she hasn’t even left San Diego and its about 60 degrees out. Not a good sign if she’s cold already.
                    Happy Holidays sign from TSA..... see they really do like us!

So they arrived fine and had Christmas a day late with my brother, sister and families. I got a text that they were doing well but that “Blaine was eating Bambi.” Apparently, my brother was doing his best to break in this California boy with some home cooked venison. They opened gifts and Jess was surprised to find a little something under the tree from her dad. Jess and her dad have a little game going. It started one night after dinner with a crumpled up ball of foil that kept making its way into her work lunch or his work lunch which progressed to hiding it in closets or shoes which progressed to us having someone deliver it to her at the restaurant where she worked. By now, the foil ball had become a foil cross….none of us can explain why that happened. So the foil cross made its way to Connecticut and was wrapped and under the Christmas tree. Looks like she was surprised!!!


Yesterday they went shopping or maybe they were just in my brother’s closet finding her some warm clothes to wear.


Today was ice skating and looks like a trip down memory lane to see where she was born, the first house she lived in…and my old stomping grounds.

I hope they didn’t go in and use our family name… they may not get the warm reception they were hoping for. I was the 4th of 5 children to go there and by the time I attended….our last name was already getting some interesting looks and raised eyebrows. Ahhh…..but then that story is for another blog.

So….. my little birds have flown away….for the winter at least. What shall I do first??????? Not sure what to do with myself!!!

3 comments:

  1. are you kidding me , maybe I will move down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just moved up to SF. My mom's going through the same thing haha, I have to link this to her she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To G T- yes....I'll bet your mom is going through it too. Although you gave her quite a while alone while you were in the marines.

    To anonymous..... come on down.....alone! haha

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.