Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas Preparations at my home

As we are all in the midst of Christmas preparations, I thought you’d like to hear what that means in my house. As you’ve gathered by now….we’re not your ordinary  Hallmark-card  type of family. We probably lean closer to the Farsides type.

We start with my husband announcing in about February that Christmas will be here before you know it.  Then each month he announces it. Now don’t take that to mean that he’s an ugly Christmas sweater wearing guy that can’t wait until Christmas comes.

He definitely is not! It’s just his way of getting a groan out of me.

My husband was born good-natured. He whistles while he works. 

He sets his alarm at 5am EVERYDAY just so he won’t “waste the day”. I was NOT born that way. I prefer to not “waste the night”.  I think alarm clocks should only be used for emergencies….like when you need to get up early to leave on a trip. I certainly don’t get up whistling.

I’ve told you before my husband loves to sing…..his own way….his own lyrics. 


He’s been listening to Christmas music every day in his shop. The problem is….what he hears and what he sings are not the same. Here....see what I mean.....

“Winter Wonderland” has a line that says:
 “In the meadow we can build a snowman,
Then pretend that he is Parson Brown”

Fernando:  “In the meadow we can build a snowman,
Then pretend that he is partly brown”
Me: No, it says Parson Brown.
Him: Really? Who is that?
Me: A parson is like a minister.
Him: Oh, I thought they were just being politically correct in the carols. I thought they were finally including my people in it.
Me: Nope….pretty sure they were not talking about Ecuadoreans in that Christmas carol.

Or how about  “Silver Bells”:
“Silver Bells, Silver Bells, It’s Christmas time in the city.”

Fernando-lyrics say:“Silver Bells, Silver Bells, It’s crime time in the city.”
Me: No…not crime time but Christmas time…..remember Christmas carols are happy and about nice things.
Him: Are you sure? It’s a city…there’s always crime.
Me: Can you just stick to “Feliz Navidad”?

Then he puts lights on the house. They look amazing. In fact, the first year we moved into our present neighborhood, no one had lights up except our house….and we hadn’t even moved in yet! We bought it in December and the first thing he did was put up Christmas lights.
                           Not our house....but I thought it was worth sharing.

There was one year when he was in a hurry and tried to cut corners so he could come in to watch the Chargers game on television. I was on a long distance call with my sister when he asked me to come out and take a look. To my surprise…. He had made a Star of David out of lights on the front of our house.

                                My sister sent us a Hanukkah card that year!

Let me know if you need help with your preparations.....I would be happy to send my husband to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.